Do you have hard water at your home? If you’re not sure, consider the following: Is there buildup in your bathtub; are there white crystals on your plumbing fixtures; or have your hair and skin felt different lately? These can all be signs of hard water. To get rid of this – and to protect your plumbing system – it’s important to install a water softener. For installation and repair services in Orlando, FL, call Solaris Electric & Plumbing. A family-owned company since 2008, we provide upfront pricing before we start any job!
Do you need a new faucet, sink, or garbage disposal installed in your kitchen? Contact us to schedule kitchen plumbing services.
Benefits of Installing a Water Softener
Installing a water softener in your home can improve your water quality and extend the life expectancy of your plumbing features. Some of the other advantages these units can provide include:
- Cleaner and shinier silverware and glassware.
- Softer, smoother, and cleaner hair and skin.
- Less soap scum on showers and bathtubs, resulting in less housework.
- Less usage of soaps and shampoos, as treated water can allow you to use up to 75 percent fewer products.
- Softer and brighter fabrics and clothing.
- Longer lasting appliances such as coffee makers, ice makers, dishwashers, and washing machines.
- Reduced greenhouse gases, which can be the equivalent of removing one SUV from the road for one year.
How To Maintain Your Water Softener
To ensure your water softener works as expected, it’s important to keep it properly maintained. Some ongoing tasks you should perform on your unit include:
- Add rock salt on a regular basis. Most units have a light that will alert you when the system is running low on salt.
- Clean the unit at least once a year.
- Have a professional inspect the system on a regular basis to look for any potential issues.
Do you want on-demand hot water in your home? Learn about our tankless water heater services.
Signs You Have Hard Water
Over time, hard water can cause issues with your plumbing appliances and fixtures. Because of this, it’s important to determine if you have hard water so you can install a water softener. Some signs of hard water you should be aware of can include:
- Spots on glasses: Small, white spots on glassware or dishes after washing them.
- Low water pressure: Low water pressure coming from your shower head and faucets.
- Faded clothing: Clothes that are fading or wearing out more quickly.
- Irritation: Skin that feels dry or hair that becomes brittle.
- Bottle test: You can also perform a test to see if you have hard water. First, fill a plastic bottle halfway up with tap water. Put the cap on and shake the bottle. Then, dump out the water. Next, fill the bottle again and add a few drops of soap to it. Shake the bottle and look for suds. The longer you have to shake the bottle to get suds to form, the harder your water likely is.