First Aid for Electric Shocks: Self-Treatment and Safety Measures

Electricity powers our modern lives, but an accidental electrical shock can be a startling and potentially dangerous experience.


Electricity powers our modern lives, but an accidental electrical shock can be a startling and potentially dangerous experience. While the best course of action is to prevent electrical shocks altogether, knowing how to respond in case of an emergency is crucial. In this blog post, brought to you by Solaris Technology, we’ll guide you through the steps to self-treat a minor electrical shock and emphasize the importance of seeking medical attention when necessary.

Understanding Electrical Shocks

Before delving into self-treatment, it’s essential to understand that the severity of an electrical shock can vary based on factors like voltage, current, and the path the current takes through the body. Mild shocks might cause tingling sensations, while stronger shocks can lead to burns, muscle contractions, and even heart irregularities.

Steps for Self-Treatment of Minor Electrical Shocks

Safety First

The utmost priority is to ensure your own safety before attempting any treatment. If the electrical source is still active, disconnect it or turn off the power supply immediately. Do not attempt to touch the person experiencing the shock while they are in contact with the electrical source.

Check for Responsiveness

If someone has been shocked, check if they are conscious and responsive. If they are not responding, call for emergency medical help immediately.

Assess Breathing and Pulse

If the person is not breathing or has no pulse, administer cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) if you are trained to do so, while awaiting professional medical assistance.

Treat Burns

If the person has sustained burns as a result of the shock, treat them as you would any other burn injury. Gently rinse the affected area with cool water and cover it with a clean, dry cloth to prevent infection. Seek medical attention for proper evaluation and care.

Observe for Symptoms

Even if the shock seems minor, closely monitor the person for any symptoms that might indicate a more serious condition, such as difficulty breathing, chest pain, or numbness. If these symptoms arise, call for professional medical help immediately.

When to Seek Professional Medical Attention

While minor electrical shocks might not always require immediate medical attention, it’s crucial to be aware of situations that demand a prompt visit to a medical professional:

Strong Shocks: If the shock was severe, caused burns, or resulted in loss of consciousness, seek medical help immediately.

Irregular Heartbeat: If the person experiences an irregular heartbeat or palpitations after the shock, it could indicate heart-related issues that require medical attention.

Breathing Difficulties: Difficulty breathing, chest pain, or persistent coughing can be signs of internal injuries and should not be ignored.

Numbness or Tingling: If numbness or tingling sensations persist, especially in the hands, feet, or extremities, medical evaluation is necessary.


While minor electrical shocks can be alarming, knowing how to respond effectively can make a significant difference in minimizing harm. Solaris Technology emphasizes the importance of safety and prevention in electrical incidents. Remember that professional medical attention is always recommended to ensure a thorough evaluation of any potential injuries or complications. To learn more about electrical safety and innovative technology solutions, visit and discover a world where safety and technology go hand in hand.

At Solaris Electric & Plumbing in the Orlando, FL area, we are your local experts for all things related to your home’s electrical. You can trust us to get the job done accurately. Call us today at 407-604-1001 to schedule your service.

Your subscription is not active

Please visit the admin site to re-activate your subscription