For your convenience, our experienced electricians at Solaris Electric & Plumbing have answered some of the more frequently asked electrical questions below. If your question isn’t covered, feel free to reach out to our team or schedule service anywhere in the Orlando area.
Frequently Asked Questions
Get professional insight from our industry-leading electricians in Orlando—call us today!
How does motion sensor lighting benefit me?
- Customizing your home’s electric means you’ll get to add all kinds of cool features such as dimming lights and motion sensor lighting. Once homeowners have made these additions to their home, they increase the functionality and value of their home. Here’s why you should install motion sensor lighting:
- No touch needed making it an easily accessible option for young children, disabled persons, and the elderly
- Have extra assistance navigating your home in the middle of the night
- Conserve power by automatically shutting off lighting when there’s no one in the room
- Save money on your utility bills
- Illuminate porches, hallways, and garages
- Prevent injury
- Discourage trespassers and act as an added layer of security
Why does my generator have low power flow?
- Sometimes, you may go to turn on your generator only to find it has poor power flow or little to no voltage. One common problem is that your generator has not been run in a long time. Leaving it in an idle state could cause this issue as well. Another cause could be a blown fuse. Try finding your generator’s voltage regulator. If you’re not comfortable touching the wires inside of your generator, call our professionals right away. If you’re somewhat familiar with your system take a look at it to see if you notice any pieces that look damaged or burnt out.
What to do in case of a fuel leak of my standby generator?
- There are several types of leaks you might experience with a whole home generator. You could leak coolant, fuel, or gas. Regardless of the type of leak, this is not an issue you want to leave untreated. Periodic inspection of your unit will help you identify low coolant or fuel levels that may be due to a leak. In the meantime:
- Check your heater hoses to ensure they aren’t blocked or worn out.
- Check to identify the type of leak you have. If it’s just condensation, you may not need to call a professional.
- Finally, if you’re unsure, give us a call. We can help you get to the bottom of the problem!
Why Is My Generator Leaking Gas?
- If you think your generator might be leaking gas, the first thing you should do is cut off the fuel source. Many generator issues can lead to gas leaks, including:
- Screw or bolt gaskets not properly tightened
- Damaged shutoff solenoids
- Damaged bowl gaskets
- Faulty float needles
- Cracked fuel lines
Why Does My GFCI Breaker Keep Tripping With Nothing Plugged In?
- GFCI breakers don't just trip because of faulty appliances and fixtures. Damaged electrical wiring, dirty connections, or moisture near the power lines can also cause problems. Any damage to your electrical system is a serious potential hazard, so don't hesitate to call our technicians if your GFCI breaker keeps tripping.
Generator or Battery Backup: Which Option Is Right for My Home?
- In general, generators are the better choice if your household has a higher power usage or your area is prone to prolonged outages. Battery backups have a lower energy capacity, but they're more effective at providing uninterrupted power. Most modern generators can take up to a minute to fully activate, causing your appliances and fixtures to turn off and back on again.
Why Is My Generator Surging?
- A surging generator indicates a fault in the system. The most common causes include incorrect fuel usage—like constantly low fuel levels or using the wrong type of fuel—component damage, irregular maintenance, or simply old age. If you find that your unit is constantly surging, reach out to our technicians for a proper diagnosis.
Why Is My Surge Protector Light Red or Beeping?
- A red light or constant beeping often indicates the loss of its protective capabilities, but some surge protectors might act differently. Always refer to your unit's operational manual when in doubt. If you need further assistance, our experienced technicians are always more than happy to help.
Why Does My Outlet Smell Fishy or Like Burnt Plastic?
- Modern outlets have a heat-resistant coating for added safety. When this layer comes in contact with extreme heat, it typically emits a fishy odor or burnt smell. Turn off your main power line and call our experts immediately if you notice outlet smells.
Can I Replace My Breaker Panel Without a Permit?
- Your breaker panel serves as the main distribution point for electrical circuits in your property, so any fault in this component can lead to devastating results. That’s why all breaker panel replacements require a permit to ensure that every safety protocol is met.
My water is coming out cold. How do I troubleshoot my water heater?
- If you have a water heater but notice that your water doesn’t seem to be getting up to the desired temperature, there are a few things you can try to get your system up and running.
- Turn off the breaker connected to your water heater
- Open the access panel
- Look for a red “reset” button and press it
- Turn the circuit breaker back on
What should I do in case of a burst pipe?
- A burst pipe can cause some serious damage to your home. You don’t want to leave an issue like this unchecked. As soon as you notice this is a problem, give us a call. In the meantime, here’s how you can mitigate any damage to your home and property.
- Disconnect your electrical to ensure there is no risk of accidental electrocution.
- Turn off your main water shutoff valve. This may be near your main water line, or it could be attached to the water meter outside of your home.
- Remove any important papers, keepsakes, and furniture from the area susceptible to water damage.
- Report any damage immediately to your insurance company.
- Take photos of any damage you notice that may be the result of a burst pipe.
- Start drying your home by opening your windows and cycling your HVAC to dry out the home.
Do I have hard water?
- Municipal water systems often add chemicals to the water in order to prevent it from corroding pipes. Excessive chemicals can make the water "hard". Signs that you have hard water include:
- build-up of scale on faucets and showerheads
- soap scum in the bathtub and sink
- spots on dishes after they are washed
How can I tell if I have a hidden water leak?
- There are a few ways to tell if you have a water leak:
- The water meter is spinning even when all the taps are off
- Water bill has recently increased significantly
- You see any water pooled on the lawn around your home
- Your toilet runs constantly
- You hear running water, even when no one is running water
Why is my garbage disposal making a weird noise?
- It's possible that your disposal is jammed. Try turning off the power to the disposal, and then use a flashlight to look down the drain. If you see something blocking the blades, try dislodging it with a wooden spoon. If that doesn't work, you may need to call a plumber. It could be that something is caught in the mechanics of the disposal unit and is causing it to jam up. DO NOT stick your hand down the drain!
If you still have questions, we encourage you to contact our friendly team at Solaris Electric & Plumbing. Call 407-604-1001 for further assistance or to schedule service in Orlando.